United States driver faces charges after child found dead in van

Deborah St. Charles

Charles, 51, was arrested in connection to his death, and charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child. The high temperature in Orlando was around 93 degrees Fahrenheit, according to Weather Underground. A family member told CNN affiliate News 13 that they called the facility on Monday to ask about uniforms, and Myles' attendance never came up.

About three hours later, St. Charles provided a sworn statement to Orlando Det.

The owner of the day care center, Audrey Thornton, apologized to the family of the three-year-old.

WKMG reported that the Florida Department of Children and Families filed an emergency suspension order Wednesday to close both Little Miracles locations.

The nursery worker told officers she did not do a head count when dropping off the children in her care and is said to be "very distraught".

The employee was sacked after the incident, Little Miracles Academy owner Audrey Thornton said during a press conference on Wednesday.

"While on the phone, the suspect opened the driver's side sliding door and grabbed some personal property from the floor behind the center console and locked the van without inspecting the interior", the affidavit noted.

DCF officials said anyone who drives a vehicle for a day care facility must meet certain requirements. She worked in her classroom at the day care until 6 p.m. Hill was not found dead until 8:28 p.m.

It is unclear if St. Charles has entered a plea or retained an attorney. Upon arrival, each child should be marked off the log as they exit the vehicle, and the log should be "immediately" signed and dated.

St. Charles then drove to another Little Miracles location, on Plymouth Avenue.

Vehicle logs showed a pick-up time and a signature of Myles' grandmother, but they didn't include a signature from the driver or a second employee verifying that a visual sweep of the vehicle was completed. The facility has been shut down by Florida's Department of Children and Families, . They estimated that the hottest temperature reached 144 degrees around 3 p.m.

The "unbearable environment" caused Myles' death, according to the medical examiner. The manner of death was deemed to be an accident, the affidavit states.

According to Orlando police, Myles was picked up Monday morning with other children and was supposed to be dropped off at another Little Miracles location instead of the one he was taken to.

Orlando Police Chief John Mina called the incident "an absolute tragedy which could have been prevented".



Otras noticias